The upcoming production of William Faulkner‘s novel “As I Lay Dying” has brought Faulkner back to life. According to Wikapedia, he wrote the novel in six weeks and he did not change a word of it. It was Faulkner’s fifth novel and consistently ranked among the best novels of 20th century literature. Recently, Faulkner came into my life as I designed the lobby for the New Albany, MS, Holiday Inn. He was born there, I was told. And so I used quotes from his novels and writings as the artwork for the hotel.
“Given the experience between pain and nothing, I would choose pain”. Wow.
Can’t wait to see what James Franco does with the movie.
- Five Great Faulkner Quotes (jthorsson.com)
- Faulkner’s Greatest Novel (thedailybeast.com)
- Listen to William Faulkner Reading His Nobel Prize Speech on the 50th Anniversary of His Death (openculture.com)
- As I Lay Dying (thehuntformrrightnow.wordpress.com)
- William Faulkner’s The Sound and the Fury to be published in coloured ink (guardian.co.uk)